 |
| It doesn't get much better than this |
This was our first summer having to adhere to the strict four week school holiday schedule. Erik and I were both a bit busy with work the past few months and couldn't decide where to go or what to do. And since things can book up rather quickly, I opted for the easy (aka last minute) choice and picked an all inclusive kinder hotel in Austria, about 4 hrs away by car. No planning, no cooking, and best of all - full time child care.

It was our first kinder hotel experience and frankly I had mixed feelings. Although the allure of kinder hotels is really spending quality time with your spouse while the kids are well looked after, the unlimited food buffet and noise level was a bit worrisome. Although our expectations were not super high, I am happy to report we were pleasantly surprised.
This particular hotel was a smaller version than others ones we looked at. Smaller also meant less people and less screaming kids. Plus it was in a truly beautiful, idyllic Austrian mountain setting complete with wild flowers, waterfalls and a beautiful nearby river.
 |
| He was so proud of himself for making it to the top |
The kids were immediately impressed with the children's play area (Kinderland) as it had a movie theatre and climbing wall, as well as extensive inside and outside play areas. The staff were very friendly and really great with the kids. We slowly introduced them to the Kinderland and by day two, they didn't want to leave. In fact after our first long bike ride, I hurried back so fast as I was feeling guilty for leaving them there through lunch and they basically told me to go away after I arrived, they were having fun without us.
 |
| Awesome weather and great bike ride |
 |
| Her Olympic game day face (Swiss was her choice) |
The best part was that Erik and I were able to spend some much need quality time together. Erik had one wish and that was to do a bike ride together. I am happy to report, we went on three (YES 3!) bike rides alone - sans kiddos. The area was beautiful but quite steep and I tested out an E-bike for the first time. Otherwise there was no way I was getting up those mountain trails. Erik has been encouraging me to try one for several months but I was resistant as I'd hope one day to be fit enough to keep up with him on the trails. But the reality is, I'll likely never be in shape for the hills and mountains around here no matter how hard I try. And I'm OK with that. I'm sold on the E bike experience, it was amazing.
While we were out climbing mountains and going on beautiful bike rides, the kids were having a blast at the Kinderland. They had Olympics day, where I am sad/happy/surprised to say that Ali registered as a Swiss Olympian (sorry mom and dad). They made cookies and rehearsed for a play the kids presented to the parents one evening.
.
And I promise we didn't dump them at the Kinderland every day, all day. We went swimming with them a couple of times as well as took a couple of gondola rides up the mountain to fun play areas. One area called Lauserland was super cool and up there in the top ten of really unique playgrounds for the kids. In addition, the hotel pool had a huge 3 story twisty slide and fun water play area the kids loved. We also enjoyed the adult only rooftop pool and spa area. I even got a lovely massage one afternoon.
 |
| Suspension playground - Lausesrland |
All in all a pretty good experience. The food wasn't too bad either. I love European continental breakfasts, with their eggs, croissants, homemade jams, fruit, yogurt buffet, and unlimited cappuccinos. They even had a juicer and fresh squeezed OJ every morning. Lunch was decent but usually more than I normally eat for lunch. Dinner was a bit hit or miss, most nights it was good and some nights just OK. I was more disappointed in the kids selection - always a buffet with the typical noodles and french fries, a meat option and an overcooked, over buttered vegetable. The kids could eat what the parents were having but when you parade a bunch of kids in front of unlimited french fries and noodles and offer them something else guess what they are going to choose. Hey, it was their vacation also.
 |
| Front row - Miles far right - blue hair - Ali far left |
Also hard to control was the amount of sweets being offered for both the kids and adults. The kids were offered ice cream and toppings twice a day. And Yes I know it's vacation but it's still hard to be that parent that says No all the time when all the other kids (and parents) are indulging. Again a small price to pay for not having to cook and clean for 7 days.
One thing I will warn others about is the noise level in the restaurant, I mean it is a kinder hotel. I wasn't expecting it to be a quiet, relaxing meal time. It is loud and chaotic as there are lots of kids of all ages running around and crying, who have been over stimulated and sugared up. Luckily breakfast and lunch didn't seem quiet so chaotic maybe as folks were spread out a bit more. And typically we tried to each lunch on the terrace or even away while on a bike ride. The hotel was great and would pack us a nice lunch if we were going to be out all day. I will say the hotel was very well insulated though as I never heard much of anything at night after the kids went to bed.
Our hotel room was really nice and had a separate tiny room for the kids with bunkbeds which was great. The accommodations were lovely and the staff very helpful and friendly. Overall our experience was really nice. We had fun and the kids did as well. Miles even coined a new phrase "vacationsick" in relation to how he felt about going home. We would do it again, maybe once a year.
 |
| Too funny |
 |
| The view looking down toward our hotel |
 |
| Another cool playground |
No comments:
Post a Comment