Tuesday, August 5, 2014

May and June Miles Happenings

I know who wants to read about stuff that was so 3 months ago.  I don't blame you.  But promised myself I would blog to document what we did while we were here.  I don't know how long we will be here, but I would like the kids to be able to look back and read about our adventures.  I also hope that our friends and family back home enjoy the updates. I actually enjoy writing it.  I apologize for being so behind.  Being a stay-at-home mom to two toddlers without family (or affordable daycare) makes it really hard to find free time.  And that is all I am saying about that (for now).

May brought us visitors in the form of my Mom and Mike.  It was my Mom's 3rd time visiting but Mikey's 1st and I'm so grateful to them both for coming such a long way (more on their visit in the next blog post).  They arrived on Miles actual birthday but we celebrated with a big party a few days later.  My dear friend "B" was gracious enough to host the party, since her home is right next to a playground.  The weather was questionable, sunny but still a chill in the air.  I really enjoy these big get togethers with our friends. I often get together with my mommy friends during the week, but it reminds me of home when we can bring together families to share food and conversation.  I am constantly reminded of how fortunate we are, to have established an incredible group of friends here. They really have become our extended family since we are so far from our real ones most of the time.  Another fun gathering. We ate lots of delicious food thanks to B's delicious appetizers, Erik's grillin talents and lots of yummy desserts.

The birthday boy
Miles is an amazing two year old.  Although he is still pint sized, he has a bigger than life personality.  He is speaking amazingly well, like in long complex sentences and does things even Ali didn't do at that age. He's not quite the daredevil his sister is or was at that age but he is getting braver.  Just the other day, he finally went down the slide by himself.  He adores his big sister, except when she's picking on him and repeats everything she says.  He loves anything having to do with trains or construction equipment.  He can spot an excavator from a mile away.  He is remarkably well behaved.  You can tell him to do something and he does it.  He puts his shoes away where they should go without being asked. (he's so Swiss). At the same time he's very independent, I think I hear the words "I do it" about 100 times a day.  He has an infectious laugh and mealtime is sure to elicit goofiness, hysterics and big messes.  He's a finicky eater (when he does eat) but his favorites are meat, mac n cheese (from box only), cottage cheese and condiments. He hates cooked vegetables or any food that touches cooked vegetables.  He prefers to pick out his own clothes and screams if he doesn't like what you are putting on him.  He has a strange obsession with shoes, knows his colors quite well and can count to 20 if you consider eleventeen a number.  His hair grows like a weed and makes his dad very envious.  He plays on his own quite well or enjoys rough housing with Daddy or playing hide and seek with Ali. He is an amazingly bright and happy little two year old and I can't wait to see what the next twenty years brings us.

Demon eyed child
In mid June Miles had eye surgery to correct his strabismus. It went amazingly well and you could see a significant improvement in the alignment right away.  Although he did look a bit like the demon child for a week or so.  It is amazing what they can do now.  His post op picture shows no signs of surgery - just a little swelling and a drugged out little boy.  I am once again so grateful to my friend 'B', who sat with me at the hospital all day long.  It was like watching paint dry, as it took Miles a long time to shake off the effects of the anesthesia but we had to be there with him just in case.  But once he did finally wake up, he was up walking around, calling for the doctor to unhook him so he could go home.  Special thanks to my parents also for extending their stay so they could watch Alison during all the pre and post operation appointments.

I am sure there were other happenings during this time but just wanted to hit some of the highlights.  Hope all is well with all of you.  Keep in touch.  Warm Regards

Visitors from afar
The grill master


This cake is not from Publix

Did someone say presents?

The hostess, cook and all around dear friend


Party time

Morning of surgery on the train
Post surgery

Ready to pick strawberries

Do you like my sparkly shoes


Two years old and on top of the world


1 comment:

  1. Aaaawww, what a nice "Miles Special" on your blog today! I enjoyed reading about him. Glad the surgery went well! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to your June issue!

    ReplyDelete

2018 in Review

Wow another year went by and I pretty much stunk at keeping this blogging thing going.  Sorry about that.  Thank goodness for Facebook I gue...