Nothing really new to report. It is yet another grey, drizzly, blustery day in Lenzburg and I am just feeling very grateful for all I have in my life and want to memorialize a few things. So fair warning that this will be a bit sappy with mainly miscellaneous musings from me.
Every night after we put our Alison to bed, Erik and I sit around and talk about all the cute things she did that day. We keep saying that we need to write some of this stuff down, as I must admit I have been bad about keeping a baby journal, so the blog is the next best thing I guess.
Alison is just a character these days. At 13 1/2 months she is just full of life, love and surprises. She gives great hugs and kisses. She loves to tickle but when she says tickle - it comes out like a combination between the words 'tickle' and 'giggle' and she somehow rolls her tongue in a way we can't replicate - it is adorable. She climbs on anything and everything. About a month ago she learned to climb onto our bed all by herself and was quite proud of herself. We have a platform bed and one of her favorite things to do is climb up and roll around on it. Speaking of climbing - she learned (all on her own) how to climb on top of her rocking horse and rock away. We didn't teach her this as we both thought it would be a while before she was big enough but she gets up and hangs on, rocking herself back and forth. Her soft ramps are no longer for crawling - she now walks up and down them.
She does the funniest tribal dance routine when she gets excited. Like when daddy gets home from work she stomps around and sometimes rolls around on the floor doing her one legged downward dog routine. Her favorite words right now are 'no', 'apple', 'banana' (which sounds more like nananna), 'cracker', 'tank you', 'ganpa', 'up', 'milmil' (milk), 'momma' and 'dadda' of course, and 'baby'. She also has her own words for certain things like bird, flower and light. She says a ton of animal sounds and loves to help mommy do the laundry. And by help I mean she is a bit of a hoarder - she likes to gather up as many clothes as she can in her little arms and carry them around. She will wrap the clothes around her shoulders and walk around. She loves to put things on her feet either the toy she has been given to keep her occupied on the changing table or her bath toys. She either puts them on her foott or somehow balances them between her feet. It is quite funny. She really enjoys reading - and I love when she grabs a book and then backs up into your lap if you are sitting on the floor so she can sit in your lap while you read to her. Or if you are sitting in a chair or on the couch, she grabs a book and comes running toward you with a big smile on her face because she is so excited about having a book read to her.
She absolutely loves to wave at strangers when we are at the grocery store or walking around town. It is fun to see the mutual smiles on peoples faces. Did I mention she eats like a horse and eats things I am pretty sure some adults have never heard of let alone eaten. Butternut squash pasta, curried eggplant and chickpeas, broccoli, sauerkraut, hoppin' john, swiss chard. We love that she now eats what we eat and for the most part enjoys feeding herself. Is she an angel all the time? No. She has her moments as she is fiercely independent, strong willed and determined. Wonder where she got that from. So in that regard when she doesn't like something she will let you know it and is not quiet about it either. But for the most part she is an incredible joy to be around. Even her tantrums are pretty short lived.
Other grateful musings:
I am so thankful and appreciative for all of you who sent us Christmas cards. I know it required a special trip to the post office during your busy holiday season. It was so great to look in our mailbox and find a card from a friend or relative far away. It was very thoughtful. And extra special thanks to all of you who sent us a package over the holidays. It was so exciting to open them and see what was in there. Again very grateful and heart warming to know that our friends and family back home are thinking of us. I think that is what started this grateful musings post as we received a very thoughtful package from our dear friends back in Jupiter and it truly has made my week.
It is interesting when you are so far away from friends and family how much you appreciate the little things. I love reading Alison books given to her by friends and family and always make sure I read to her who they are from. There are also just little things that remind me of my friends and family back home. Leslie, I always think of you when I am cooking in the kitchen (which is every day) as you have given me a nice cookbook and the big silver spoon we use often. Nicki and Rachel - we still have your funny notes in our silverware drawer, as well as a beautiful dresser for Alison that is a constant reminder. Alison eats out a caterpillar bowl and plate given to her by Aunt Garrety and plays with so many toys from all you. I am thankful for the cute warm clothes for Alison from Sharon, Carrie, Aunt April, Nanny Carla Grandma and Grammy. Alison's changing table, her warm jackets. There are many other items from you all that I think of daily. It is just really nice to be surrounded by things that remind me of my friends and family back home.
Again just feeling thankful today. Am thankful for the wonderful technology of skype and factime as Alison loves to talk to Grandma, Grandpa, Grammy and Nanny. Hope everyone is having a great start to the new year. I miss you and can't wait to see most of you in February.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2018 in Review
Wow another year went by and I pretty much stunk at keeping this blogging thing going. Sorry about that. Thank goodness for Facebook I gue...
-
So we finally settled into our own place. Fair warning that this may be a long blog entry since it has been almost two weeks since we had i...
-
I've been contemplating writing this post for weeks now as I just feel the need to vent. But with two kids it is REALLY hard to find ti...
-
So Christmas traditions are big here. In Switzerland, Samichlaus visits children on December 6th, not on Christmas Eve. So last night (Dec...








No comments:
Post a Comment